Starting your apprenticeship but not sure what you are entitled to? Here is the essential guide to financial support available to apprentices.

Can I claim benefits?

Yes, apprentices are eligible to claim benefits. Which benefits you might be entitled to will depend on your circumstances. If you are over 18, you can use the TURN2US Benefits Calculator to see what help you might be entitled to. If you are under 18, you can read their guide on Young People and Benefits.

Can I get a reduction on my council tax?

If you or someone who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you may be entitled to up to 25% discount off your Council Tax.

If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property, you may be entitled to up to 50% discount. For more information, contact your local authority.

Can I get help with travel costs?

When you undertake an apprenticeship, you must ensure you are able to travel to and from your place of work and training provider, and cover the associated costs. There are a number of different schemes available to support you financially.

In some local authority areas, you may be entitled to a travel discount, such as the apprentice Oyster photo card in London. You can check with your local public transport operator to see if there are similar schemes available in your local area.

Am I able to claim student discount?

More and more businesses are offering discounts to apprentices, so it is always worth asking. Apprentices are entitled to an NUS card through the National Union of Students. The NUS Apprentice extra discount card costs £11 and offers apprentices many of the same discounts and benefits as other students including discounts on travel.

Can I get any help with childcare expenses?

You may qualify for help towards childcare costs provided by the government.

Can I get help with clothing and other expenses associated with working?

Support with clothing and other expenses is not widely available. Visit to find out how to check if you are eligible. There are also charities like Dress for Success (for women) and Suited and Booted (for men) that offer free work clothes and advice on presenting yourself.

What support can I get if I am a care leaver?

If you are under 25 years old when you start an apprenticeship, and have previously been in the care of the local authority (for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14), you are eligible for some extra funding. You are eligible to receive a bursary payment of £1000, to help you to meet the extra costs of starting work and to support you in the first year of your apprenticeship. You won’t need to repay this bursary. Your employer and provider will also receive a payment to help offer additional support as you complete your apprenticeship.

More information is available in the apprenticeship funding document explaining apprenticeships funding from August 2018. You should also contact your local authority to see if any additional support is available to you.