Piggy bank and money on table with graduation hat in background

Student Finance

Student Finance

SLC loans and grants are paid directly to your nominated account and if you have any queries regarding this please contact them by phone 0300 100 0607. You can also follow them on Twitter - @SF_England. Student Finance England also have a YouTube channel which you may find helpful.

All information regarding eligibility, loans and grants is available at gov.uk. 

I have my funding notification, what happens next?


Make sure you have returned your signed declaration to Student Finance. You will need to attend an enrolment session, remember to bring your payment schedule with you, in case of any queries.

Students receive their maintenance money in three instalments each year, roughly at the beginning of each term and normally within 3-5 working days after enrolment. Subsequent loan payments will be released as per the payment dates detailed in your payment schedule letter. The tuition loan is paid straight to the University.

I have changed my mode of study, what should I do?


If your circumstances change whilst you are studying on your course, you must inform Student Finance. You must also ensure that you notify your faculty of any change in your circumstance. E.g. if you change your mode of attendance from full-time to part-time, there are funding implications, and we want to ensure that the accuracy of your student record and funding eligibility are maintained.

If you are from outside mainland UK and receive a grant cheque, you can collect this from the Student Centre.

If you have any other questions, please contact us.

For help with budgeting on a student’s income and other day to day matters, you may like to visit bucksstudent.com/advice.

What funding is available for Postgraduate students?


Funding may be available to BNU students studying social work and nursing through the NHS.

BNU also offer certain discounts to students who have recently graduated with us.

Students may be eligible to apply for a Government contribution for postgraduate masters’ study. The amount of funding available will depend on where you normally live.

N.B. Masters loans from student finance are paid directly to the student, so you will need to ensure that tuition fees are paid to the University. Any loan asked for will be paid in three equal instalments over the year, roughly the beginning of each term. If the masters course is longer than one year then the total loan requested will first be split evenly over the duration of the course and the loan amount for each year will also be paid in three equal instalments.

White piggy bank
A close up of a calculator on a table student typing office